Guides and resources
Frequently Asked Questions
Choosing the right moment for the child and his family is a very important aspect for a correct acquisition of the habit and at a time when the child is more receptive to stimulation. We can play the video while preparing the meal, while picking up, in the bathroom, in the car while traveling, when playing freely, at the cinema with the lights off, just before going to sleep... Consistency in viewing determines the effectiveness of the method.
Whenever possible, mealtime should be done without video, it is a very rich and ideal moment to work on autonomy skills, the taste for food and the moment to share with the family. On the other hand, we often encounter children with restricted interests who find it difficult to incorporate new things. In these cases we exclusively propose to families and therapists to incorporate the videos and consider, whenever it is not possible otherwise, to incorporate them incidentally while eating to avoid escapes and to have an adaptation to the method as natural as possible. In all cases we should try to remove the reinforcer from the food until the video is completely removed from the meals.
The ideal to generate the habit of watching the videos is to do it parallel to eating time, a habit already integrated into the family dynamics that we never skip. We must take into account the behavior of the child with the time of the meal, if it is a child who loves to eat we will put the video before and if it is a child who finds it difficult to eat we will put the video as a reward after!
If the topic of meals is not suitable for your logistics, use alarms to remind you to watch the video. You can also print the VICON logo and put it in various places around the house as a visual reminder, there are families that have even made a magnet for the fridge that also offers the possibility for the child to ask for it by pointing or as a PECS exchange. A habit is generated in 21 days so after a while you will not need alarms or reminders, with time and the habit well established even your child will remember it for you!!!
The recommendation is to find 1/2 times a day and systematically play the videos every time. The web platform already offers blocks of videos, every 2 viewings, that last an hour. Although, if we find ourselves in a more advanced stage of the method (due to the fact that we have been using the method for a few weeks or we have been placed there after the Initial Evaluation Test) we will have the possibility of play videos of lower levels. Keep in mind that the appropriate level will be the last one and it is the one that will allow us to advance in the method at the pace of the child. We will always be able to go back to previous videos to review or reinforce concepts that we see that are not yet achieved but keep in mind that there are skills that are repeated at various times so that we can acquire the skill at different times throughout the program.
Taking into account that the recommended exposure is 6 times a day in 3 moments as far apart as possible to make the stimulation as effective as possible, we find children who seek or ask for the video more times. If we see that our child is of this type of children we have to act taking into account the following aspects:
- Beware of obsessions: if we always agree to put the video more and more we run the risk that our child becomes obsessed with the resource being a constant VICON seeker and it is very important for us to guide the use of screens at all times. This limitation will also help us not to have problems with constant video demand in the future and having to deal every day with the insistent demand for video, think that this can happen 3 times a day and can be exhausting and unsustainable for any mother / father.
- On the other hand, if you still think that you could play it some more times during the day, maybe on weekends or holidays or perhaps to share it with the grandparents when we go to visit, it is recommended that the adult is the one who proposes the viewing so that he/she always exercises control over the viewing and we do not have behavioral problems in the long term. If the child asks for the video, we wait a few minutes doing something else even if it is prompted and then, perhaps as a reward, we propose one more viewing, so that the control is totally in the adult's hands and the child takes it as such.
Keep in mind that all the level videos are related and it is always good to put them in an orderly manner, this will allow us to advance in the method at the pace of the child determined by the Initial Evaluation Test performed after registration. According to the Initial Evaluation Test the program places us in the most appropriate level for the child so we will have the possibility to put videos of previous levels as a complement. We can also go back to previous videos to review or reinforce concepts that we see that are not yet achieved but keep in mind that there are skills that are repeated at various times so that we can acquire the skill at different times.
No, just as we stop going to therapy sessions or to school, we must keep in mind that the child's recovery and well-being is paramount. Everything audiovisual and musical can be very invasive and uncomfortable when a child is not feeling well, so we do not hesitate to reduce or suppress the visualizations if we sense that our child is not feeling well or may be in the process of illness. In these cases, the visualizations are done on demand and we reduce the visualizations a lot unless the child asks for it.
The ideal and minimum recommended size is the tablet. While it is true that if the child is already very familiar with the digital world and even has its own tablet, in the first views is not recommended to see it directly on your tablet because it might be accustomed to use it freely and to be autonomously changing videos to his/her liking Sometimes there is no reluctance but in many others do offer resistance. Many times it is not that they do not want to watch the videos of the VICON method but that being something new they prefer their known videos and songs before something unknown and with which they are not familiar. It is also true that sometimes the logistics are complicated and we can resort to the telephone on occasion. Watching it on TV can also be very attractive and really non-manipulable and fun mean with a larger format for children.
In VICON Method we encourage teamwork and we recommend that all the professionals involved with the child are familiar with the method and can have a direct line with the assigned Method's Therapist.
- School: Many children do some visioning within the class group at school and this offers benefits at a group level and group cohesion as well as helping the teachers to have a preferred resource for the work in the classroom that offers clues of an effective method and offers adequate stimulation for the child in integration.
- Therapy: Therapists working with the child should be informed and it is recommended that they make viewings in their time together to be able to collect ideas for stimulation, reactions of the child, songs... it is proven that it enriches the weekly therapy moments and offers an opportunity for therapists to see the child in a different stimulation situation, offering resources to use in session. We are happy to establish direct communication with them with ideas and feedback that enrich the overall stimulation of the child.
There is no problem to watch the video as a family, but we have to take into account that the video is directed to the child with autism, so that he/she is the one who has to take advantage of the stimulation, so we have to be careful and be sure that watching it as a family does not interfere in his/her stimulation and that the attention he/she is able to pay to the video is not hindered by a too noisy environment. On the other hand, from the method we recommend that siblings watch the video to strengthen their bonds, VICON method enriches family relationships and also serves as a guide for the whole family on how to establish that connection and to be able to address the child following the guidelines of the video. Many cases have seen siblings begin to interact through VICON, strengthening their bond. If there are siblings under 2 years of age, it will be necessary to consider the relevance of the sibling being very exposed to screens when their use is not recommended before the age of 2 years, whether or not they have a disability, so viewing will be limited in their case to prevent harming them at other levels of digital stimulation.
It is not necessary to do the exercises at home although you can inform yourself about the units (Materials) to be worked on in the next contents of future videos ("What you have not seen yet") and that you may find interesting to use to perform incidental tasks at home. For example, having objects desired by your child distributed around the house and out of reach so that your child can point to them to ask for them. In this way, you can practice the unit/skill of "Pointing" in your daily life and combined with the visualization of the videos of this same content or even once you have passed this one and you are visualizing other contents in parallel.
In no case should we tell the child to do what is in the video, there are children who feel the need to copy everything that is in the video, even to make mom or dad do it and we also find children who are calm and do not react to the videos but then in moments outside the video they hum a melody, recognize their body parts, play with their mouth or hands... they experiment experientially with what is in the video. It is very important to respect the rhythm and the way each child learns. It is true that doing or provoking different situations that appear in the video can enhance its effect and favor its generalization to a more active environment, but we must not oversaturate the child, so we must know how to measure very well these moments of intervention in order not to generate rejection but fun and playfulness. Singing the songs of the method can also be a great resource and we do not doubt that this is done spontaneously by all members of the family.
We start before the age of 2 years adjusting the viewing rhythm by reducing screen exposure and complementing it with the use of music. At the age of 2 years we start with the natural stimulation of the method following the reactions of the child in terms of level, frequency and therapeutic strategies.
- What should I do if my child...
A. Adverse reactions:
- Covers his ears when watching the videos... (in principle, we will not make any changes)
- Cries or gets angry...: We will assess the reaction with the VICON Method team, always considering the well-being of the child, and stop the stimulation if necessary.
- Does not accept the video change...: We will gradually introduce the new video by playing it only once and alternating it with some of his previous favorites, helping and supporting him in the adaptation process.
- Loses attention in the last viewings before the video change...: We will assess with our VICON Method guide if it's necessary to adjust the number of viewings. It's not recommended for the child to get bored or disengage during the final viewings.
- Seems to have grown tired of the videos...: We will assess with our VICON Method guide if it's necessary to adjust the number of viewings. It's not recommended for the child to get bored or disengage during the final viewings.
B. Communicative and interaction reactions:
- Wants me to watch with him...: If we can share that moment with him, it's fantastic. The appeal couldn't be more social and bonding.
- Encourages me to do what is shown in the video...: It's very natural for them to try to involve us and find it very stimulating. Before they do it spontaneously, they may seek to see the video reflected in us. Do it and also encourage him gradually to do it himself, but without forcing it.
The child's behavior during the method is not linear. There will be moments and videos that we like more than others, which may provoke different reactions. We may encounter resistance to changing videos, expressions of anger, crying, and loss of eye contact with the video. Try to determine the appropriateness of applying the following actions based on your knowledge of your child.
The 1-week trial is free and without obligation. Then the price of the Method now is 35 euros per month. We also have help for families who can not afford it and have demonstrated in the trial that they are committed to the method as they see good indicators in the child. If we see that it is effective for the child, we try not to leave them behind because of an economic problem. The issue of expensive and cheap also depends on the effect that the therapy has, doesn't it? if it doesn't work it will be very expensive but if it awakens the child's language there can be no better investment, don't you think?
The fact that it is proven with autism does not mean that it is not effective in a multitude of profiles and disorders with language difficulties. We currently have cases of TEL, maturational delay, Down Syndrome, Sanfilippo Syndrome, Phelan McDermi Syndrome, ADHD with or without Hyperactivity ... The recommendation is to try it without doubt because each child is unique and it will be in his particular case where we can determine if the method is objectively valid.
For more information, please email email@example.com, and we will provide you with details about everything we do with professionals and therapeutic and educational centers.